Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The AspieGoth? Blog

   Hello. Today is Monday, November 14th, 2012. I am currently sitting at a Mac, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different from a PC. So, bear with me here.

   Anyway, recently, as in very, very, very very, recently, I was seeing the main source of traffic for this here blog. By seeing, I mean, I was trying to see where half of you come from, and why you are reading my blog, & how you got here. (This was before I posted my last two posts, just in case you were wondering.) Either way, I clicked on the one traffic source. And, it took me to a search on Google UK. Now, this search was for the topic "Why are so many people with Asperger's Syndrome Goths?"
 
   Other than some other blogs about similar topics, (hey fellow dark guardians of the internet :)), there were some websites written by psychologists, psychiatrists, pediatricians, etc, etc about this particular topic. There were even, to my suprise, some parenting websites talking about this particular subjects. And, on a side note, there even was a page on GodhatesGoths.com on how "God hates Retards". That's a side note becaus this post is not about them (*cough * bigots *cough*).

   Anyway, what these sites & blogs all seemed to ask the same question (aside from GodhatesGoths.com). Why are so many people with Asperger's Syndrome, a form of Autism that severely hinders social functions & queues, Goths, members of an elite subculture that, stereotypically, glorifies depression, homicide/suicide, teen angst, & follow Satanism under the Marilyn Manson, Pretty Reckless, Evanescence denominations, & dress like Abby from NCIS' children?
 
   Well, as I referred to the above stereotype overload, & as I read the websites basically ALL ASKING    THE SAME THING, I had to sit back for a moment. After a moment, (and some deep (and, I do mean DEEP) breathing exercises) I decided to write a little essay/lecture/tangent from the viewpoint of an AspieGoth on why there are (apparently) so many "Aspie Goths".

   Let's begin with something that I will assume is partway fact & not opinion since it is true for me: Most AspieGoths were diagnosed with the disorder/syndrome/disease/ailment thing known as Asperger's Syndrome BEFORE  they discovered the subculture/culture/lifestyle to which they became accustomed to. I was only watching cartoons that showed the subculture to me & introduced me to it when I was diagnosed.
 
    Next, the main reason for this is also (I think) two reasons. The first one is that a lot of Asperger's/Autistic people are strange. I personally only stayed with the subculture because I really do not fit in anywhere else. My mother in hindsight has admitted this once to me.

   The second reason I think is that a looooot of Asperger's/autistic people are, by nature, nonconformists. They aren't neccessarily all Goths like me. But, by nature, most Asperger's/autistic people don't obey society's rules because they can not understand them simply.  Now, that being said, just because someone's autistic/Asperger's does not make them a nonconformist. And, just because someone's a nonconformist does not make them autistic/Asperger's. There. I feel better already.

 Well, there's my opinion on the matter. What's yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment