Friday, March 1, 2013

Sex-And-The-City Tangeant #4

    Hey. It's me again. I realize how long it has been since my last post, but, I am waiting for a response to at least one of my posts before I made another post. That being said, today, I was reading an article
today about a woman who was forced to give up her child because it was a "bastard" when she was about 17. This story began in 1963. One of the reasons she was put up for adoption was her father was Jewish, her mother was Catholic. Now, the adopted child eventually met her birth parents. But, this story was eerily similar to that of my great-grandmother.
   You see, my great-grandmother's father was Jewish, her mother was Catholic. However, unlike the child in the above story, my great-grandmother was born in 1929. Also unlike the child in the above story, she never met her father & barely new her mother, & she was raised by her grandparents & aunts, whom I am assuming didn't care that her parents weren't married & just realized she was their first granddaughter & that's all that mattered. Her aunts even rejected marriage to help care for her.

   Now, knowing those stories, I have another two. In the 1950s, parents, clergy, etc. were all up in arms over a certain musician known as Elvis Presley.  Much later, say, the late 1990s, these same people who grew up arguing with their parents over the morality of Elvis Presley were shaking their bibles & picketing Marilyn Manson concerts.


    These two stories bring me to the point of this post: Uptightness: Are modern-years more uptight than the past-years? Or, are older people more uptight?




No comments:

Post a Comment